We all have busy lives. Between work, school, spending time with family and friends and so many other commitments and projects- it’s important we find the time to take care of ourselves. School is coming up for many people and it’s so important that we remember to take the time to take care of ourselves. This can mean many things for different people and there’s absolutely no wrong way to do this. Self care is doing what makes you feel good and what brings you joy.
Taking Time for Yourself
This one might sound obvious, but I really mean taking time for yourself. No checking emails when you’re taking your lunch. Putting down that textbook when you’re drinking your morning coffee. You can still be productive while take time for yourself no doubt. Approach it from a place of want and do what’s fun for you! It’s so easy to get sucked into the tasks and to-dos that may be weighing on you. Take that five-minute coffee break to really be with yourself and do things that bring you joy.
Relax and Take it Easy
This one goes hand in hand with taking time for yourself. Self-care isn’t about doing what makes other people feel good- it’s about doing what makes you feel relaxed and allows you to refocus. Some things to try to relax:
- Bath or shower- it’s a fresh start. Also, a go-to for so many people.
- Have a cup of tea, coffee- I know not everyone is about that hot drink life so any sipping drink where you take your time to drink it will do.
- Spend time with friends and family you can chill with.
- Go for a spa day. Which I did recently before a big sale event at work.
- Listen to some music- any kind is good
- Alternatively dance it out to this music- buddy not necessary but absolutely invited
- Do your nails. Trust me friends it’d relaxing and has the added benefit of being productive.
Indulge in the Little Things
This really means the little things. I have a friend who really finds the joy in the little things. One of her catch phrases is: “It feels so good to…” This can be anything from moisturizing, putting on a fresh coat of lip gloss, or even drinking some water. What I’m saying is indulge in those little things. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, eating healthy food. Finding joy in the regular and the healthy will help make some of these habits easier- but it’s also important for self-care.
For self care, the things suggested aren’t revolutionary or life-changing. If you’re not taking the time you need to take care of yourself or if you’re feeling a little stressed, take a breath- you’ll get through it. Just use this a gentle reminder that you are one of the most important people in your life. Treat yourself once in a while. Bring yourself more joy.